What is Our History?
Encounter Church (formerly Selly Oak Elim Church) was founded in 1936, born out of Birmingham’s Pentecostal Revival of the 1930s. The church first met in people’s homes and then in the Institute building on Bristol Road before moving to a permanent site in Alton Road. In 1983, two buildings later, the church were outgrowing their premises and arranged to swap buildings with St. Wulstan’s. Today, we meet at Selly Oak and Weoley Castle. We changed our name to Encounter Church in 2018.